I love my job. I teach P.E. at a small school system & one of my favorite things about that fact is that I get to know the students pretty well. I've learned that I should never be surprised by what they say, but last Wednesday one of my 5th graders absolutely shocked & humbled me. I wonder if it will have the same impact on you. Here's what happened...
I walked in the room to pick up the 5th grade class to bring them to the gym (like I do every Wednesday), they were lined up and ready for me (like they are every Wednesday), I ambled over to the teachers desk to exchange pleasantries (like I do every Wednesday)...and then I noticed something was very different. The teacher was quietly smiling and looking not at me, but at one of his students behind me. A young boy stood sheepishly behind the teachers lectern and he began to read a note he was holding with a confident voice but shaky hands. The first time he read it, it simply bounced off of me. I wasn't ready to hear it. I couldn't believe what he read. I sat down, blinked away some tears, and asked him to read it again. Here's what the note said:
"My birthday was this past week-Instead of me getting presents for my party I asked my friends to bring in money for your son Ryan, and they really pushed the giving limits. We have raised $317.50! We are praying for your adoption of Ryan.
Acts 20:35 In everything I showed you that by working hard in this manner you must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus that he himself said, It is more blessed to give than it is to receive."
What?!? Do you remember how big of deal your birthday party was in 5th grade? I still remember the rush of excitement of tearing through the wrapping paper to discover the treasures my friends had picked out just for me. And this boy gave all that up for something that Jesus says is greater. He bypassed that momentary thrill for the lasting joy of knowing that made the biggest sacrifice he could imagine in order to help an orphan find his forever family. I no longer have any of the gifts my friends gave me on my 11th birthday, but this boy will always carry the pride and joy of knowing he did something great. And not only that, the Bible is really clear that there is some sort of an economy that exists in heaven. I don't claim to understand how it works, but I'm pretty certain this 5th grader is onto something very important...
Matthew 6:19-20 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal."
So amazing! I got choked up reading that! Shows what a big heart he has for only being in the 5th grade.
ReplyDeleteStephanie @
theshortonescookingblog.blogspot.com
Oh my... Julie... you have me crying... absolutely beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteWow. I hope my kid grows up to be like this kid someday. I hope I grow up to be like him too.
ReplyDelete